A lot of accident tickets just have something like “failure to maintain control” written on them. It’s simply not clear what that charge is all about, until you look up the law / code section online.
Unless you’re charged under a local code, “failure to maintain control” is going to be a reckless driving ticket. That’s right; it’s a class 1 misdemeanor under 46.2-853.
I think some officers don’t write “reckless driving” on the ticket to appease drivers at the scene. They don’t want people to freak out right there in front of them, so they write “failure to maintain control.” Then when you get home, you realize the ticket is a bit more serious.
Here’s the good news: many fail to maintain control tickets can be reduced to a lesser offense, such as improper driving. And some of them can be beaten completely. It definitely depends upon the facts and circumstances of the accident and your prior record.
If you’re charged with “failure to maintain control”, you should definitely consult with a local traffic attorney about your options.
photo credit: Natalia Carrasco
Free consultation. Call me: 540.318.5824.
I provide free consultations for traffic tickets and misdemeanors in my area. If I can't help, I'll do my best to connect you with someone who can.
Free book for you
If you want more answers about your reckless driving ticket, grab a free copy of my book. We'll send it right over for free.
My book covers everything from the law to defenses to how to appeal if things go South. And I wrote it all myself, unlike some people who just slap their name on someone else's book.
More about reckless driving...
- Can I Just Mail The Judge A Letter For my Virginia Reckless Driving Case?
- Can I Petition to Have Traffic Fines Reduced Even if the Case is Old?
- I am 17 and got a Ticket. Will my License be Suspended?
- In Virginia, Must You Sign the Ticket the Officer Gives You? Are You Admitting Guilt?
- Out of-State Drivers who Have a Reckless Driving Ticket in Virginia, Beware Hiring an Out-of-State Attorney.
- Is Reckless Driving a Felony?
- The Officer Wrote the Wrong Driver’s License Number, Zip Code and Speed Limit on my Ticket. What Should I do?
- Online Traffic School
- Can Police Run Radar in The Rain?
- Should You go to Driving School Before Virginia Traffic Court?