As I wrote earlier this year, the speed limits in Virginia are changing. As of July 1, 2010, the maximum possible speed limit is 70 mph.
But don’t go 70 unless the signs are posted.
That’s the key. You have to watch the signs on the interstates in Virginia. The speed limit can vary anywhere from 55 mph to 70 mph.
The Free Lance-Star published a recent article that explains the new 70 mph signs have been posted in part of Spotsylvania County. I’ve seen them, and it’s certainly a joy to go just a bit faster on the interstate.
According to the Virginia State Troopers I’ve spoken with, the 70 mph zone goes from the 90 mile marker up to the 124 mile marker (I think they might have said 124.5, but I’m erring on the side of caution here). Regardless, after that point, the limit goes back down to 65 mph.
The moral of the story: watch for the speed limit signs. And remember that any speed over 80 mph is still reckless driving, even in a 70 zone. If you set your cruise on 73 or 75 and tap the pedal to pass someone, you could easily top 80 and be facing a Spotsylvania reckless driving charge. Be careful!
Photo by bredgur.
Free consultation. Call me: 540.318.5824.
I provide free consultations for traffic tickets and misdemeanors in my area. If I can't help, I'll do my best to connect you with someone who can.
Free book for you
If you want more answers about your reckless driving ticket, grab a free copy of my book. We'll send it right over for free.
My book covers everything from the law to defenses to how to appeal if things go South. And I wrote it all myself, unlike some people who just slap their name on someone else's book.
More about reckless driving...
- Officer Killed Bicyclist – Is He Getting Special Treatment?
- Virginia Speeding Ticket When Out of State
- Virginia Reckless Driving Penalties
- Virginia Traffic Lawyer
- Beware New Speed Limit on Unpaved Roads
- Failure to Appear in Virginia – What to do?
- Shoes and Counterfeit Money Create Crazy Car Chase
- Can I Just Mail The Judge A Letter For my Virginia Reckless Driving Case?
- Can I Petition to Have Traffic Fines Reduced Even if the Case is Old?
- I am 17 and got a Ticket. Will my License be Suspended?