False. Virginia law used to require the officer to show you the radar gun on request. However, that hasn’t been the law in a long time in Virginia. The fact of the matter is, that you don’t have the right to see your radar or LIDAR unit that the officer clocked you with.
If you think about it from an officer safety standpoint, it makes a lot of sense. It would be unsafe in many ways for one officer to have you out of the vehicle anytime YOU request it. That’s one big reason why they simply don’t allow that anymore. It can be dangerous for the officers because they never really know what they’re getting into when they have someone pulled over.
Unfortunately, it’s simply not the law that you have to see the radar or LIDAR on the side of the road, and so anyone who says otherwise in Virginia is flat out wrong.
Photo by: mdfriendofhillary
Free consultation. Call me: 540.318.5824.
I provide free consultations for traffic tickets and misdemeanors in my area. If I can't help, I'll do my best to connect you with someone who can.
Free book for you
If you want more answers about your reckless driving ticket, grab a free copy of my book. We'll send it right over for free.
My book covers everything from the law to defenses to how to appeal if things go South. And I wrote it all myself, unlike some people who just slap their name on someone else's book.
More about reckless driving...
- Can I Just Mail The Judge A Letter For my Virginia Reckless Driving Case?
- Can I Petition to Have Traffic Fines Reduced Even if the Case is Old?
- I am 17 and got a Ticket. Will my License be Suspended?
- In Virginia, Must You Sign the Ticket the Officer Gives You? Are You Admitting Guilt?
- Out of-State Drivers who Have a Reckless Driving Ticket in Virginia, Beware Hiring an Out-of-State Attorney.
- Is Reckless Driving a Felony?
- The Officer Wrote the Wrong Driver’s License Number, Zip Code and Speed Limit on my Ticket. What Should I do?
- Online Traffic School
- Can Police Run Radar in The Rain?
- Should You go to Driving School Before Virginia Traffic Court?