False. In Virginia courts where I practice, there are no tuning fork calibration logs.
What the officer has are certificates of accuracy for his tuning fork. These certificates by statute must be dated within six months prior to the offense date. They are pieces of paper. Sometimes they are full sheets; sometimes they are a half sheet.
The officer has to have the certificate to show that his tuning forks were calibrated and found to be accurate within the past six months. He doesn’t have to show all the prior calibrations or any subsequent calibrations. He just has to show one calibration certificate within the past six months for each tuning fork, so there’s no need for them to keep any kind of running log of calibration.
In fact, certificates actually supply greater accuracy and greater reliability than just a log that the officer might create himself. Certificates are prepared by the tuning fork calibration person who is a third party certifying that these tuning forks are resonating at the correct frequency.
photo credit: Claire L. Evans
Free consultation. Call me: 540.318.5824.
I provide free consultations for traffic tickets and misdemeanors in my area. If I can't help, I'll do my best to connect you with someone who can.
Free book for you
If you want more answers about your reckless driving ticket, grab a free copy of my book. We'll send it right over for free.
My book covers everything from the law to defenses to how to appeal if things go South. And I wrote it all myself, unlike some people who just slap their name on someone else's book.
More about reckless driving...
- Was the officer mistaken when he clocked my vehicle?
- Stafford Reckless Driving – What NOT to Say
- Virginia Speedometer Calibration Demo and Sample Calibration
- Beat a Spotsylvania Reckless Driving Ticket
- What is Reckless Endangerment in Virginia?
- Virginia Traffic Court Defense
- Help with Virginia Uniform Summons
- Falling Asleep Behind the Wheel
- How do I Beat This Reckless Driving Charge?
- How Many Tickets Are Written Over The 4th of July Holiday?