Virginia natives know the law about radar detectors. And any visitor to the Commonwealth has seen the huge warning signs as they cross the border.
Welcome to Virginia, but watch your speed!
A bill that would have repealed Virginia’s radar detector ban failed in the House of Delegates on the 11th. The bill was quite simple, just trying to repeal the entire statute regarding radar detectors. It would have legalized detectors in the Commonwealth and caused the removal of those wonderful signs at the borders.
The Free Lance-Star reported that the House actually voted on the bill twice. It failed by a narrow margin the first time. The House reconsidered and rejected it by a larger margin on the second vote.
Unless Virginia some day repeals the radar detector ban, you can’t legally use one. The only way you can even have it in your vehicle is if it’s not plugged in and it’s not accessible to anyone in the vehicle. To me, that means it must be somewhere like the trunk.
Free consultation. Call me: 540.318.5824.
I provide free consultations for traffic tickets and misdemeanors in my area. If I can't help, I'll do my best to connect you with someone who can.
Free book for you
If you want more answers about your reckless driving ticket, grab a free copy of my book. We'll send it right over for free.
My book covers everything from the law to defenses to how to appeal if things go South. And I wrote it all myself, unlike some people who just slap their name on someone else's book.
More about reckless driving...
- Can I Just Mail The Judge A Letter For my Virginia Reckless Driving Case?
- Can I Petition to Have Traffic Fines Reduced Even if the Case is Old?
- I am 17 and got a Ticket. Will my License be Suspended?
- In Virginia, Must You Sign the Ticket the Officer Gives You? Are You Admitting Guilt?
- Out of-State Drivers who Have a Reckless Driving Ticket in Virginia, Beware Hiring an Out-of-State Attorney.
- Is Reckless Driving a Felony?
- The Officer Wrote the Wrong Driver’s License Number, Zip Code and Speed Limit on my Ticket. What Should I do?
- Online Traffic School
- Can Police Run Radar in The Rain?
- Should You go to Driving School Before Virginia Traffic Court?