One of the most confusing aspects of reckless driving tickets is whether or not you have to appear in court. The ticket itself throws people off, because this appears underneath your signature:
What the heck does that mean? You’re supposed to appear, right?
Yes and no.
Usually the officer will scribble through the text that says “You may avoid coming to court…” I guess that’s to prevent people from checking the box and claiming they don’t have to appear.
But what’s the rule? Do you have to appear or not?
By default, reckless driving tickets require your appearance in court. The box won’t normally be checked on your ticket. Your signature on the ticket is your promise to appear.
However, if you hire an attorney, an attorney can appear on your behalf for many reckless driving cases. That rule will differ based on the local court and the precise charge you’re facing.
For example, in most cases where you’re charged with less than 100 mph, I can handle the case without you in the Fredericksburg area courts. But in Northern Virginia, you may have to appear in court for any speed above 90 mph.
It’s an easy enough default rule: appear in court. To see if you can avoid coming to court, call a local traffic attorney.
Free consultation. Call me: 540.318.5824.
I provide free consultations for traffic tickets and misdemeanors in my area. If I can't help, I'll do my best to connect you with someone who can.
Free book for you
If you want more answers about your reckless driving ticket, grab a free copy of my book. We'll send it right over for free.
My book covers everything from the law to defenses to how to appeal if things go South. And I wrote it all myself, unlike some people who just slap their name on someone else's book.
More about reckless driving...
- Officer Killed Bicyclist – Is He Getting Special Treatment?
- Virginia Speeding Ticket When Out of State
- Virginia Reckless Driving Penalties
- Virginia Traffic Lawyer
- Beware New Speed Limit on Unpaved Roads
- Failure to Appear in Virginia – What to do?
- Shoes and Counterfeit Money Create Crazy Car Chase
- Can I Just Mail The Judge A Letter For my Virginia Reckless Driving Case?
- Can I Petition to Have Traffic Fines Reduced Even if the Case is Old?
- I am 17 and got a Ticket. Will my License be Suspended?