Of all the things I’ve seen in my time as a traffic defense attorney, nothing’s come close to this.
Apparently a Cleveland driver didn’t want to wait for a stopped school bus. Instead of detouring around the bus, she drove on the sidewalk. The bus driver caught the whole situation on video:
It’s no surprise that the judge wasn’t happy with that behavior. He found her guilty, gave her a $250 fine, and took her license for 30 days. Perhaps even worse, she has to stand on a street corner on two different days with a sign that reads “Only an idiot drives on the sidewalk to avoid a school bus.”
I’ve never seen a Virginia traffic judge impose a punishment like that. Although I’m sure some have wanted to. But if you’re charged with passing a stopped school bus in Virginia, that is normally written under a reckless driving code section. Thus, you could be facing license suspension for six months and even up to a year in JAIL.
If a Virginia judge had a case like the above situation, I wouldn’t be surprised if they fined the driver the maximum $2,500 and took her license for the full six months. And if the prior driving record is bad, jail could be a possibility.
There are certainly ways to beat a school bus ticket, but a case like this where there’s video would be tough.
Free consultation. Call me: 540.318.5824.
I provide free consultations for traffic tickets and misdemeanors in my area. If I can't help, I'll do my best to connect you with someone who can.
Free book for you
If you want more answers about your reckless driving ticket, grab a free copy of my book. We'll send it right over for free.
My book covers everything from the law to defenses to how to appeal if things go South. And I wrote it all myself, unlike some people who just slap their name on someone else's book.
More about reckless driving...
- Officer Killed Bicyclist – Is He Getting Special Treatment?
- Virginia Speeding Ticket When Out of State
- Virginia Reckless Driving Penalties
- Virginia Traffic Lawyer
- Beware New Speed Limit on Unpaved Roads
- Failure to Appear in Virginia – What to do?
- Shoes and Counterfeit Money Create Crazy Car Chase
- Can I Just Mail The Judge A Letter For my Virginia Reckless Driving Case?
- Can I Petition to Have Traffic Fines Reduced Even if the Case is Old?
- I am 17 and got a Ticket. Will my License be Suspended?