How to Pay Your Fine and Court Costs

published by Andrew Flusche on May 25, 2009

pay court costs

If you have a fine or court costs to pay in Virginia traffic court, this article will explain how to take care of that.

Payment methods

The General District Courts in Virginia generally accept payment via cash, check, or credit card. You can pay via any of those methods if you pay in person.

If you need to pay by mail, you usually need to send a check or money order. Some courts can accept credit card payments over the , but many cannot. If you want to try to pay with a credit card over the , you can contact the clerk’s office to see if that is an option.

Due date

Unless you are told otherwise, all payments are due within 15 days of your trial date.

If you do not pay by the deadline, your driver’s license will be suspended. If you drive with a suspended license, you can be convicted of a class 1 misdemeanor under Virginia Code 46.2-301.

If the judge gave you the opportunity to complete driving school or community service to reduce your charge, you will need to pay your court costs and any fine by the date that your other certificates are due.

If you have any doubt about your payment due date, contact your attorney or the court clerk’s office.

Where to pay

You can bring your payment in person to the General District Court where your case was heard. The address should be on the ticket you received.

To mail in your payment, mail it to the General District Court clerk’s office. The address should be on your ticket, and you can verify the mailing address on the Supreme Court of Virginia’s website.

What to mail

If you pay by mail, I advise clients to take these steps:

1. Be sure your legal name is on the check or money order
2. Double-check the proper address for the clerk’s office
3. Enclose a copy of your ticket with the check or money order

Be certain that your payment will arrive before the deadline. The clerk’s office must receive it by the deadline.

Any questions?

If you have any questions about paying, contact your attorney or the clerk’s office. Don’t wait until the last minute, or you might lose your license.

Photo by Thomas Hawk

Free consultation. Call me: 540.318.5824.

I provide free consultations for traffic tickets and misdemeanors in my area. If I can't help, I'll do my best to connect you with someone who can.

Previous post:

Next post: