One of the common problems we have these days with DWI restricted licenses in Virginia is that the ignition interlock process takes some time to get set up. If you go to court for DWI and you’re found guilty, the clerks can typically give you a restricted license within a business day or two. However, getting the ignition interlock device installed can take quite a bit of time in some areas. The problem is expediting that process so you can begin driving to work again.
The solution that seems to work well if you think that a DWI conviction is probable is to pre-enroll in Virginia Alcohol Safety Action Program (VASAP). They won’t let you install the interlock device before court, but the VASAP office around here WILL let you pre-schedule the installation appointment for a time right after court.
This lets you jump ahead of the line for ignition interlock installation, and some companies have a 1-2 week waiting list. However, if you can get an installation appointment on the calendar several weeks before court and you schedule it for right after court that makes a shorter waiting period to get your ignition interlock device installed.
The quickest I’ve had a client be able to get his interlock installed is the afternoon of court. It doesn’t typically happen that fast, but pre-scheduling your ignition interlock installation can reduce the number of days that you can’t drive.
Free consultation. Call me: 540.318.5824.
I provide free consultations for traffic tickets and misdemeanors in my area. If I can't help, I'll do my best to connect you with someone who can.
Free book for you
If you want more answers about your DWI case, grab a free copy of my book. We'll send it right over for free.
My book is packed full of concrete tips and information that will immediately help you with your Virginia DUI / DWI charge. It's not a puff piece that I paid someone else to write. It's filled with tips that I use to help my clients. You can grab your copy right now.
More about DUI / DWI...
- Is Your Lawyer Waiving Your Rights?!
- How Does Ignition Interlock Work? [video]
- Will you get Jail Time for a DWI With a Blood Alcohol Content Over .15?
- Can The Police Pull You Over For a Pine Tree Air Freshener?
- Points In Time For A DWI [Infographic]
- How do You Fight a DWI Second Offense in Virginia?
- I’m Drunk Right Now. What Rights am I Losing?
- What Statements Could Hurt You During a DWI Stop?
- Announcing The First Andrew Flusche Scholarship Contest
- If I Refuse to Take the Breath Test Can They Still Take my Blood Anyway in Virginia?