For any speeding or reckless driving by speed case, the officer has to prove that his equipment was calibrated and found to be accurate within the six months prior to the offense. If the officer’s paperwork does not prove that, we have a strong argument to have your case completely dismissed.
The source for this issue comes from the Virginia Code itself under 46.2-882. That statute sets out the requirements for testing speed-detection equipment, and it says “No calibration or testing of such device shall be valid for longer than six months.”
As I have discussed several times before, there are intricate issues that come up with calibration certificates. This is one of the areas where having an experienced attorney really can pay off. It doesn’t happen often, but if you happen to be lucky and have a calibration issue arise, you want someone in the courtroom with you who will be able to spot it and leverage it to your advantage.
Photo by: j.reed
Free consultation. Call me: 540.318.5824.
I provide free consultations for traffic tickets and misdemeanors in my area. If I can't help, I'll do my best to connect you with someone who can.
Free book for you
If you want more answers about your reckless driving ticket, grab a free copy of my book. We'll send it right over for free.
My book covers everything from the law to defenses to how to appeal if things go South. And I wrote it all myself, unlike some people who just slap their name on someone else's book.
More about reckless driving...
- Can I Just Mail The Judge A Letter For my Virginia Reckless Driving Case?
- Can I Petition to Have Traffic Fines Reduced Even if the Case is Old?
- I am 17 and got a Ticket. Will my License be Suspended?
- In Virginia, Must You Sign the Ticket the Officer Gives You? Are You Admitting Guilt?
- Out of-State Drivers who Have a Reckless Driving Ticket in Virginia, Beware Hiring an Out-of-State Attorney.
- Is Reckless Driving a Felony?
- The Officer Wrote the Wrong Driver’s License Number, Zip Code and Speed Limit on my Ticket. What Should I do?
- Online Traffic School
- Can Police Run Radar in The Rain?
- Should You go to Driving School Before Virginia Traffic Court?