If you have old license suspension on your Virginia DMV record, you may be interested in removing them to clean the record. Unfortunately, it’s not possible.
Hello. My name is Andrew Flusche. I’m a Virginia Traffic and Misdemeanor Attorney. A lot of people ask me about prior suspensions that appear on their DMV record. I’ve been asked before many times whether those suspensions can be taken off the record. Is there any way to clean the record from old suspensions? And unfortunately the answer is no. Typically DMV maintains records for you about tickets and suspensions and notices and all of those kinds of things and they keep those on your driving record for quite some time. I suspect the reason is that way if there’s ever a charge or a violation that you’re accused of for having been suspended at a certain time then it’s easy for the records to show whether in fact you were suspended at that time or not. So unfortunately that’s the bad news.
Prior suspensions in Virginia, at least as far as I’m aware, cannot be removed from the record at least until they fall off by DMV’s rules. The good news is DMV driving records in Virginia normally only go back 11 years so after a certain period of time those suspensions normally will just not show up anymore when anybody pulls your driving record, but there’s no way to clean them, again, at least as far as I’m aware.
Free consultation. Call me: 540.318.5824.
I provide free consultations for traffic tickets and misdemeanors in my area. If I can't help, I'll do my best to connect you with someone who can.
Free report for you
If you want more answers about your driving on suspended ticket, grab a free copy of my special report. We'll send it right over for free.
My report gives you solid information about driving on suspended cases, including defenses you might not know about.
More about driving on suspended...
- What Will Happen for Driving on a Suspended License Third Offense?
- Can The Police Pull You Over For a Pine Tree Air Freshener?
- In Virginia, Must You Sign the Ticket the Officer Gives You? Are You Admitting Guilt?
- Virginia License Offenses – Critical Knowledge
- Virginia Traffic Court Defense
- Help with Virginia Uniform Summons
- Driving on Suspended – Three Options
- Driving on Suspended Secret: There may be Problems with the Prior Offenses
- Driving on Suspended Secret: You Must be Operating a Motor Vehicle
- Driving on Suspended Secret: You Must be Legally Suspended