A Cleveland judge has shown a bit of initiative in punishing a woman found guilty of reckless operation and failure to stop for a school bus. A school bus driver caught Shena Hardin of Cleveland on film driving on the sidewalk to avoid stopping for the bus while it was loading and unloading children. The video, which can be found on YouTube, shows that the act was likely a daily occurrence. It also captures a police officer pulling Hardin over moments later.
Hardin was found guilty of reckless operation and failure to stop for a school bus on November 5th. In addition to a $250 fine and the suspension of her license for 30 days, Hardin must stand at the corner of the intersection where this act occurred between 7:45 and 8:45 AM holding a sign that reads “Only an idiot drives on the sidewalk to avoid a school bus” for two days.
Though not a typical penalty, Hardin is not the only one who has been ordered by courts in the United States to hold signs as part of their punishment. An Indiana man, for example, shirked jury duty and had to wear a sign in front of the court house proclaiming he’d done so while two Pennsylvania women who stole a gift card from girl on her birthday were required to do the same.
Free consultation. Call me: 540.318.5824.
I provide free consultations for traffic tickets and misdemeanors in my area. If I can't help, I'll do my best to connect you with someone who can.
Free book for you
If you want more answers about your reckless driving ticket, grab a free copy of my book. We'll send it right over for free.
My book covers everything from the law to defenses to how to appeal if things go South. And I wrote it all myself, unlike some people who just slap their name on someone else's book.
More about reckless driving...
- Can I Just Mail The Judge A Letter For my Virginia Reckless Driving Case?
- Can I Petition to Have Traffic Fines Reduced Even if the Case is Old?
- I am 17 and got a Ticket. Will my License be Suspended?
- In Virginia, Must You Sign the Ticket the Officer Gives You? Are You Admitting Guilt?
- Out of-State Drivers who Have a Reckless Driving Ticket in Virginia, Beware Hiring an Out-of-State Attorney.
- Is Reckless Driving a Felony?
- The Officer Wrote the Wrong Driver’s License Number, Zip Code and Speed Limit on my Ticket. What Should I do?
- Online Traffic School
- Can Police Run Radar in The Rain?
- Should You go to Driving School Before Virginia Traffic Court?