Yes, Mike Crapo, the Senator who publicly claims to abstain from alcohol, is facing a Virginia DWI.
The offense occurred early Sunday morning, when an Alexandria police officer saw a vehicle run a red light. The officer initiated a traffic stop and administered field sobriety tests on Senator Crapo.
Unfortunately for the Senator, the tests allegedly indicated alcohol impairment and was arrested. Police are saying that his breath alcohol reading was a .11, but it’s unclear if that’s the preliminary breath test or the Intoxlizyer (the preliminary test cannot be used to prove guilt).
Crapo was released on a personal recognizance bond, and his initial court appearance is set for January 4th. That should just be his arraignment, where the judge will advise him of his right to an attorney and set a trial date.
If convicted of Virginia DWI, Crapo is facing a series of punishments.
First, his privilege to drive in Virginia has to be suspended for 12 months; he would be eligible for a restricted privilege to drive here, but only for specific purposes and only with an ignition interlock device installed in his car.
Second, he’d be required to attend the Virginia Alcohol Safety Action Program (VASAP). That requirement could be met by actually doing the classes at a local equivalent back home in Idaho.
Third, he would have some combination of a fine and jail time. The maximums are $2,500 and 1 year in jail; however, for a first offense it’s likely Crapo would get a fine around $500 and all suspended jail time.
Free consultation. Call me: 540.318.5824.
I provide free consultations for traffic tickets and misdemeanors in my area. If I can't help, I'll do my best to connect you with someone who can.
Free book for you
If you want more answers about your DWI case, grab a free copy of my book. We'll send it right over for free.
My book is packed full of concrete tips and information that will immediately help you with your Virginia DUI / DWI charge. It's not a puff piece that I paid someone else to write. It's filled with tips that I use to help my clients. You can grab your copy right now.
More about DUI / DWI...
- Is Your Lawyer Waiving Your Rights?!
- How Does Ignition Interlock Work? [video]
- Will you get Jail Time for a DWI With a Blood Alcohol Content Over .15?
- Can The Police Pull You Over For a Pine Tree Air Freshener?
- Points In Time For A DWI [Infographic]
- How do You Fight a DWI Second Offense in Virginia?
- I’m Drunk Right Now. What Rights am I Losing?
- What Statements Could Hurt You During a DWI Stop?
- Announcing The First Andrew Flusche Scholarship Contest
- If I Refuse to Take the Breath Test Can They Still Take my Blood Anyway in Virginia?