Here’s the deal folks. Delegate Cline is trying to make us criminals. If you’ve ever used your smart to stream Pandora in the car or used Google Maps for navigation, that includes you. Heck, if you’ve ever received a text message (even without reading it!) while driving, you’d be guilty of reckless driving under Cline’s proposed bill.
Instead of the narrowly-written current ban on simply texting while driving, Cline’s bill makes it reckless driving to “use” a smart while driving, except for “verbal communication.”
In other words, if your is in “use” and you’re behind the wheel, you’re guilty of a misdemeanor. Smart, right?
The change is based on a tragic case where a driver (who allegedly opened a text message while driving) struck and killed a pedestrian. The judge dismissed the reckless driving charge against the driver, saying that the legislature had deemed texting to be a minor offense.
It’s incredibly sad when anyone gets killed or injured. However, the solution isn’t to criminalize perfectly safe and routine activities. Doing so will just open up law-abiding citizens to over-zealous prosecution. It certainly could be a great racket to raise fine money for the Commonwealth!
Hopefully this bill will die in committee in January. If not, lock your smart in your trunk.
Free consultation. Call me: 540.318.5824.
I provide free consultations for traffic tickets and misdemeanors in my area. If I can't help, I'll do my best to connect you with someone who can.
Free book for you
If you want more answers about your reckless driving ticket, grab a free copy of my book. We'll send it right over for free.
My book covers everything from the law to defenses to how to appeal if things go South. And I wrote it all myself, unlike some people who just slap their name on someone else's book.
More about reckless driving...
- Virginia Speeding Ticket When Out of State
- Virginia Reckless Driving Penalties
- Virginia Traffic Lawyer
- Beware New Speed Limit on Unpaved Roads
- Failure to Appear in Virginia – What to do?
- Shoes and Counterfeit Money Create Crazy Car Chase
- Can I Just Mail The Judge A Letter For my Virginia Reckless Driving Case?
- Can I Petition to Have Traffic Fines Reduced Even if the Case is Old?
- I am 17 and got a Ticket. Will my License be Suspended?
- In Virginia, Must You Sign the Ticket the Officer Gives You? Are You Admitting Guilt?