The Free Lance-Star reports that a Spotsylvania man is now charged with involuntary manslaughter due to an accident that occurred when he was alleged to have been driving under the influence.
The defendant was first just charged with DWI and driving on a suspended license, but the Commonwealth added the manslaughter charge later on. During the accident, a passenger in the defendant’s car was thrown from the vehicle and crushed by it. His death is the reason for the more serious charge.
Of course there’s a major difference between the two charges. A typical DWI is a misdemeanor that might not even end up with actual jail time. However, the manslaughter charge is a felony.
As a side note, the newspaper’s writing needs some help. The defendant is charged with a third offense of driving on a suspended license, which carries a mandatory minimum of ten days in jail. The way the article is written, it sounds like this is a third offense DWI. There’s a major difference between the two. A third offense DWI is a felony charge by itself, much more serious than driving on suspended.
Free consultation. Call me: 540.318.5824.
I provide free consultations for traffic tickets and misdemeanors in my area. If I can't help, I'll do my best to connect you with someone who can.
Free book for you
If you want more answers about your DWI case, grab a free copy of my book. We'll send it right over for free.
My book is packed full of concrete tips and information that will immediately help you with your Virginia DUI / DWI charge. It's not a puff piece that I paid someone else to write. It's filled with tips that I use to help my clients. You can grab your copy right now.
More about DUI / DWI...
- Announcing The First Andrew Flusche Scholarship Contest
- If I Refuse to Take the Breath Test Can They Still Take my Blood Anyway in Virginia?
- What if the Search Warrant Return was Filed Late? Can I Suppress the Evidence That was Seized?
- Does a Maryland DUI Count as a Prior Conviction for Virginia?
- Do I Need An Attorney For my Arraignment?
- Hospitalized for a Valium Overdose, Released, Then got a DUI
- How to Overcome Virginia DUI / DWI (free book!)
- How Long do the Police Keep the Blood Samples for a DWI Case?
- Should I Plead Guilty to Second Offense DWI Even Though I Refused the Field Sobriety Tests?
- How Long Does a First Offense DWI Stay on Your Record?