I was recently asked the above question from a California DUI lawyer. His client had the option to accept a California “wet reckless” plea (under California Vehicle Code 23103), and he was trying to figure out how the client’s Virginia license might be affected. Here’s my response:
First of all, Virginia is VERY diligent about keeping track of and recording out-of-state convictions for VA drivers.
Looking at CVC 23103, the language is straight up reckless driving. Here, “wet reckless” is slang that refers to a DWI reduced to reckless driving; it entails license suspension and alcohol classes, but the code section is standard reckless driving (Va Code 46.2-852).
A reckless driving conviction itself doesn’t carry any DMV suspensions in VA. It would remain on the client’s record for 11 years and would cost him 6 demerit points. The only suspension concern would be if he’s on the cusp of being in trouble with DMV due to demerit point accumulation. If his record is otherwise good, a single reckless wouldn’t be a problem and is MUCH preferable to a DWI.
photo by: bredgur
Free consultation. Call me: 540.318.5824.
I provide free consultations for traffic tickets and misdemeanors in my area. If I can't help, I'll do my best to connect you with someone who can.
Free book for you
If you want more answers about your reckless driving ticket, grab a free copy of my book. We'll send it right over for free.
My book covers everything from the law to defenses to how to appeal if things go South. And I wrote it all myself, unlike some people who just slap their name on someone else's book.
More about DUI / DWI...
- If I Refuse to Take the Breath Test Can They Still Take my Blood Anyway in Virginia?
- What if the Search Warrant Return was Filed Late? Can I Suppress the Evidence That was Seized?
- Does a Maryland DUI Count as a Prior Conviction for Virginia?
- Do I Need An Attorney For my Arraignment?
- Hospitalized for a Valium Overdose, Released, Then got a DUI
- How to Overcome Virginia DUI / DWI (free book!)
- How Long do the Police Keep the Blood Samples for a DWI Case?
- Should I Plead Guilty to Second Offense DWI Even Though I Refused the Field Sobriety Tests?
- How Long Does a First Offense DWI Stay on Your Record?
- What is Wet Reckless in Virginia?