I defend a lot of people from driving on suspended license charges. A surprisingly common thing folks tell me on the phone is: “but I wasn’t driving!”
When I hear that, my ears perk up. I’m excited that we might have a solid defense to the case. After all, the Commonwealth has to prove that you were driving a vehicle. That’s a critical element of the offense.
Unfortunately, what I usually hear next isn’t helpful to the case. It typically turns out that the defendant WAS driving at some point, just not at the precise moment when the officer came up to them.
That doesn’t matter.
The Commonwealth absolutely has to establish that you were driving. But the officer could have observed you driving at some point earlier in the day or right before he approached you. The officer doesn’t have to pull you over while you’re driving.
It’s a subtle difference, but one that matters a lot. If you didn’t actually drive a vehicle, we have a strong defense. But if you did drive, it’s simply up to the Commonwealth to prove that.
Photo by Jerrycharlotte
Free consultation. Call me: 540.318.5824.
I provide free consultations for traffic tickets and misdemeanors in my area. If I can't help, I'll do my best to connect you with someone who can.
Free report for you
If you want more answers about your driving on suspended ticket, grab a free copy of my special report. We'll send it right over for free.
My report gives you solid information about driving on suspended cases, including defenses you might not know about.
More about driving on suspended...
- Virginia License Offenses – Critical Knowledge
- Virginia Traffic Court Defense
- Help with Virginia Uniform Summons
- Driving on Suspended – Three Options
- Driving on Suspended Secret: There may be Problems with the Prior Offenses
- Driving on Suspended Secret: You Must be Operating a Motor Vehicle
- Driving on Suspended Secret: You Must be Legally Suspended
- Driving on Suspended Secret: The Officer Must Have a Legal Reason to Stop
- Driving on Suspended Secret: You Must Have Notice That You’re Suspended
- Driving on Suspended Secret: Getting Your License Fixed Does Not Make the Case go Away