I regularly have clients and colleagues asking how tickets work between Virginia and other states. Recently, a colleague posted on a national attorney listserv asking how a New York “right on red” ticket would translate to a Virginia driver’s record.
Virginia DMV’s rule is that IF they get record of an out-of-state conviction for a VA license holder, they will record the violation on the driving record and assess demerit points as if the violation occurred in Virginia.
New York and Virginia are both members of the Drivers License Compact, so I’d bet NY will tell Virginia about the “making a right on red” ticket. Virginia DMV will probably record it on the Virginia record as a right on red violation, which Virginia has a statute for (46.2-835). That would be assessed 3 demerit points under Virginia’s point rules.
Note that the points in this case just happen to be the same, but Virginia doesn’t look at or care what the out-of-state points are. Our DMV assesses points based on our scale.
Fortunately for New York drivers, the reverse isn’t true. I’m certainly not a New York attorney, but according to the New York DMV:
“The NYSDMV does not record out-of-state violations committed by NYS drivers in other jurisdictions.”
There are a few exceptions on that page, but none of them would in a Virginia red light ticket for a regular license holder.
Photo by: Thomas Hawk
Free consultation. Call me: 540.318.5824.
I provide free consultations for traffic tickets and misdemeanors in my area. If I can't help, I'll do my best to connect you with someone who can.
More about speeding...
- Virginia Speeding Ticket When Out of State
- Virginia Reckless Driving Penalties
- Virginia Traffic Lawyer
- Beware New Speed Limit on Unpaved Roads
- Can I Petition to Have Traffic Fines Reduced Even if the Case is Old?
- I am 17 and got a Ticket. Will my License be Suspended?
- In Virginia, Must You Sign the Ticket the Officer Gives You? Are You Admitting Guilt?
- The Officer Wrote the Wrong Driver’s License Number, Zip Code and Speed Limit on my Ticket. What Should I do?
- Online Traffic School
- Can Police Run Radar in The Rain?